Qatari Crescent provides care for premature babies of Syrian refugees

Qatari Crescent provides care for premature babies of Syrian refugeesimage

27 Jul

The Qatari Red Crescent mission in Lebanon continue the implementation of the project of incubator premature babies in favour of the Syrian refugee families in Lebanon, which is a joint medical project with Qatar Charitable Society aims to improve the health status of newborns, it implements by the Qatari Red Crescent over 6 months, with funding of 900,000 riyals from Qatar Charity.

The implementation of the project included the mechanisms, which amounted to the total number of beneficiaries during the first three months of 128 Syria births, contracted with four hospitals in Tripoli and Bekaa, to receive the cases of premature infants between Syrian refugees, the hospital are: Bekaa Hospital, Shatura Hospital, Hamed Farhat Hospital and Tripoli government Hospital, and provide it with the necessary medicines and medical supplies, where was contract with Paediatrics consultant to examine the cases of premature infants, and determine the need to enter it in the incubator, and the duration of stay there.

The project is based on a survey carried out by the Qatari Red Crescent mission in Lebanon, about the health conditions of Syrian refugees there, in order to identify strengths and weaknesses points in the health services, provided to their by health organizations working in the field, where the results showed the need to provide the optic medical care for Syrian refugees, and to cover the expenses of stay the premature babies in incubators.

High Commissioner of the United Nations for Refugees (UNHCR) cover 75% of the expenses of stay the premature babies in incubators for Syrian families whose registered only, while deprived from the service the children whose not enrolled in the organization, even for registered families the remaining 25%, are considered too expensive for them, because of the unavailability of sources of income for the majority of Syrian refugees which forcing them to withdraw their children from hospitals before they receive the necessary medical care. So the Qatari Red Crescent and Qatar Charity have rushed through this project to contribute to the provision part of the expenses of stay the premature babies in incubators, for children who are not registered in the UNHCR, In addition to carrying 25% of the remaining cost of treatment for the registered children, and distribution of cases, according to the medical diagnosis in each hospital, and notes that the total medical diagnoses more than the total number of cases, because of the presence two diagnoses or more for a number of cases, where the Bekaa most hospital received cases of preterm birth, which is usually most in need of special medical attention.

Prof. Dr. Akram Zeada, professor of paediatrics, general coordinator of the incubators project, stressed that many mothers prefer birth in home, but the presence of charities which support the costs of birth in hospital, it became a lot of them find the birth in hospital crossover, where UNHCR covers part of the cost while covering charities other part, It also allows for newborns urgent medical care, in emergency situations, such as oxygen tubes, which may not be available in the case of the transfer of the child from the home to the hospital, where 5-minute capable of destroying brain cells.

Tags

There are no tags for this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our newsletter